Signup Now
Results 1 to 7 of 7
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By KN1GHTMARE
  • 1 Post By spleendingo

Thread: What type of TV is needed to optimize graphics

  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    1
    Rep Power
    0

    What type of TV is needed to optimize graphics

    If I have a 720p Panasonic plasma (50"), is it necessary to buy a 1080p to get the full impact of the Xbox One graphics? Or is the difference between the two negligible? It looks like many of the Xbox One games will not be at native 1080p, so my thinking is it isn't really necessary at this point to upgrade to a 1080p.
    Last edited by jstep; 10-25-2013 at 04:32 PM. Reason: More descriptive title

  2. #2
    Amateur spleendingo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    135
    XBL ID
    spleendingo1
    Rep Power
    7
    I've been using my 720p for awhile now. I don't think the difference will be so extreme as to go and buy another expensive TV. My roommate has a smaller screen, but his is 1080p and honestly, I can see a difference but it's nothing so extraordinary I feel the need to upgrade.

    It's like the difference between a Blu-Ray and a DVD playing in an "up converter" DVD player.

    I can't say for certain, but I think the One will be that way also. As long as it's HD we should be good!

  3. #3
    Cheatmaster BlackSolaris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    988
    Rep Power
    42
    I think you are pretty much set for the whole thing if you already have such a big screen. I only have a 30 inches screen and i am still amazed by it, i can only imagine how great it would be to play in such a TV.

  4. #4
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    7
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by thornton105 View Post
    If I have a 720p Panasonic plasma (50"), is it necessary to buy a 1080p to get the full impact of the Xbox One graphics? Or is the difference between the two negligible? It looks like many of the Xbox One games will not be at native 1080p, so my thinking is it isn't really necessary at this point to upgrade to a 1080p.
    You will see a noticeable difference by upgrading to 1080p both for games on the Xbox One and for all your HDTV content in general (HD cable, blu-ray, etc). Your plasma's resolution (720p) is too low for the size of the screen (50"). It is best to have a 1080p resolution on all HDTVs larger than 40" while 720p is fine and dandy for screens 32" and smaller.

  5. #5
    In Training CaptainWoodzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    77
    Rep Power
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Swiper View Post
    You will see a noticeable difference by upgrading to 1080p both for games on the Xbox One and for all your HDTV content in general (HD cable, blu-ray, etc). Your plasma's resolution (720p) is too low for the size of the screen (50"). It is best to have a 1080p resolution on all HDTVs larger than 40" while 720p is fine and dandy for screens 32" and smaller.
    I was gonna echo what this guy was saying. The size of your TV really begs for 1080p, not to mention you will DEFINITELY see noticeable difference between 720p and 1080p especially later on in the console's life. If you don't upgrade now, I'd recommend trying to next year at least.

  6. #6
    Super Moderator KN1GHTMARE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,716
    XBL ID
    KN1GHTMARE
    Clan
    SSJ
    Rep Power
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by spleendingo View Post
    I've been using my 720p for awhile now. I don't think the difference will be so extreme as to go and buy another expensive TV. My roommate has a smaller screen, but his is 1080p and honestly, I can see a difference but it's nothing so extraordinary I feel the need to upgrade.

    It's like the difference between a Blu-Ray and a DVD playing in an "up converter" DVD player.

    I can't say for certain, but I think the One will be that way also. As long as it's HD we should be good!
    I completely disagree. As a former TV salesman I can honestly say that there is a significant noticeable difference. The reason you probably don't notice it on your friend's TV is because in order to enjoy such high resolution they minimum size recommended is 42" so that it's native format can be used. Also keep in mind most games released this gen were 720p native and just up-scaled 1080. That won't be the case in the new gen.
    spleendingo likes this.
    Check out our sister-site at


  7. #7
    Amateur spleendingo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    135
    XBL ID
    spleendingo1
    Rep Power
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by KN1GHTMARE View Post
    I completely disagree. As a former TV salesman I can honestly say that there is a significant noticeable difference. The reason you probably don't notice it on your friend's TV is because in order to enjoy such high resolution they minimum size recommended is 42" so that it's native format can be used. Also keep in mind most games released this gen were 720p native and just up-scaled 1080. That won't be the case in the new gen.
    You may have a point. His TV is only 32 inches, mine is 42. But, as I said, mine is only 720p and his is 1080. I've never had a larger TV for comparison, but that size (32) is almost negligible. Now if the next gen is going to be 1080p from the start, that would absolutely make a difference. That was something I didn't know. See, you taught an old dog a new trick lol.
    KN1GHTMARE likes this.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. How many figures are needed?
    By Chameleon in forum Xbox 360 Games
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-12-2013, 05:05 PM
  2. New member here(help needed)
    By BobMarin in forum Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-09-2013, 04:25 AM
  3. Bluetooth headset setup help needed!
    By DBabyRedGrL in forum Xbox Live
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-17-2013, 11:21 PM
  4. Help needed
    By 1969Camaro in forum Xbox Live
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-16-2012, 06:22 AM
  5. H game needed in directory, Happy Wars
    By crossunitedfate in forum Feedback & Suggestion Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-15-2012, 07:37 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •